Scholarship Name: The MasterCard Foundation Scholars program at McGill University
The McGill University, Canada is partnering with the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to offer undergraduate Scholarships for African students over a period of 10 years. Scholarships will be available at the Masters level beginning in the 2016-2017 academic year. Please check back in September 2015 for details on how to apply.
Eligible Field of Study
Development related courses – contact the University for Specific Details
McGill University and The MasterCard Foundation have partnered to offer The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill. Thanks to a $27 million financial commitment from The MasterCard Foundation over the next decade, the Program will provide academically talented, economically disadvantaged young people from Africa with access to quality university education.
McGill will welcome 91 Scholars from Africa over the next ten years, some of whom will be coming from French-speaking countries. The Scholars will receive full financial support to pursue their degree program and will be provided with a comprehensive support network that will include mentoring and support services, enhanced English as a Second Language courses (if applicable), and the opportunity to participate in community service initiatives, campus student engagement activities and up to two internships in Africa.
Unique to McGill, some of the Scholars will be from French-speaking countries and as such, will benefit from enhanced English as a Second Language instruction.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2013
Scholarship Type: Undergraduate scholarships for African students
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
- You must qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that admission is competitive.
- You must be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. French-speaking applicants are welcome.
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
Admission to McGill University
- Academic achievement and potential – academic admissibility is determined based on the applicant’s academic record.
Acceptance to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- You must demonstrate an exceptional record of service and leadership in your school and/or your community. This may include organizing youth programs, assuming leadership roles in school activities, participating in clubs and teams, taking on responsibilities at home, advocacy and/or volunteering in your community.
- You must be committed to returning to Africa after graduation to continue to give back to your community and country.
- You must be from a low-income background. Your financial status will be verified.
To be considered for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University, you must demonstrate academic potential, exceptional records of service and activity in your schools and communities and/or the potential for meaningful community service through engagement as leaders in dynamic local and global social change efforts.
Number of Scholarships: The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill welcomed 13 students from Africa in its inaugural year in 2013-2014. Over the next ten years, McGill will welcome 67 MasterCard Foundation Scholars at the undergraduate level and another 24 at the Master’s level, for a total of 91.
Value of Scholarship
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars at McGill will receive a holistic set of financial, social, and academic supports throughout their education and during their post-graduate transitions.
Duration of Scholarship: for the four years duration of the undergraduate degree
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
To be taken at (country): McGill University Canada
The deadline for your application for admission to McGill University is December 10, 2014, and all supporting documents must be received by January 5, 2015.
Offered annually? Yes for the next 10 years
How to Apply
For more information about the The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill: visit The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill
Important Notes: The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill is only available for undergraduate programs. Scholarships will be available at the Masters level beginning in the 2016-2017 academic year. Please check back in September 2015 for details on how to apply.